You are here: American University AU Central Non Degree Student Registration

First Time Non-Degree and Visiting Student

First-time Non-degree applications for Summer and Fall 2020 courses are currently being accepted.

First-time non-degree registration for both Graduate and Undergraduate students begins on Monday, April 6 for Summer 2020 courses.

We encourage students to submit their applications early to allow adequate time for processing. You will receive a response from AU Central with next steps in the application process within 3 to 5 business days

Please address any questions to Thank you!

First-Time Non-Degree Student Registration and Eligibility Requirements


Review the Schedule of Classes  

 Be sure that you have reviewed and met all prerequisite requirements. 

Request or have an official transcript* available (if applicable). Applicants must provide an official transcript from their most recent institution attended and/or the institution where any prerequisite requirements were completed.

 *If sending an electronic transcript directly to AU, please email to Attn: Alicia Marsh First-Time Non-Degree Registration. A PDF of your official transcript can also be attached to your application.

Go to 

A prompt will appear on the screen. If you already have an AU account, you may continue.

If you do not yet have an AU account, click on the Guest login & registration (non-AU account holders) link to create an account

Login to the Just Ask Page using your Guest Registration or AU credentials.

Click on the link: Student Services & Academics

Click on the link: AU Central

Under Common Requests click on Non-Degree Student Enrollment Form

Complete form and submit

Important information:

Registration for courses is subject to space availability and confirmation of eligibility. You will receive notification from AU Central with next steps in the enrollment process within 3-5 business days. Payment for classes is due upon the first day of class. Failure to comply with payment schedules may result in a financial restriction being placed on your account which would prevent any future registration or proof of completion of classes, including an official transcript, from being requested. If you need to change your schedule for any reason, please contact AU Central. Failure to attend classes or pay your invoice does not automatically withdraw you from classes. Your tuition will be refunded based on your withdraw date and the academic calendar. Refund dates for Summer Courses follow a special summer calendar.

 Continuing Non-degree Students:

If you have taken classes at American University previously as a non-degree student, information concerning registration can be found here:

Please note: Continuing non-degree students are registered by the department in which their classes are housed.

Degree Seeking Students:

Please note that if you are registering for the first time as a degree-seeking student, the Office of the Registrar site has information pertaining to your registration procedure.

Important Note for International Students

American University does not provide prospective non-degree students with immigration documents to apply for F-1 or J-1 student immigration status. If you require a student visa, non-degree study is unfortunately not an option. Please note that studying while on a B-2 tourist visa is considered a violation of immigration status by the Department of Homeland Security. Please contact our International Student & Scholar Services office to discuss what options may be available to register as a non-degree student. ISSS can be reached at: or 202-885-3350.

Non-native speakers of English must provide proof of proficiency in one of the following ways:

A. Submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Pearson Test of English (PTE), or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.

B. Submit transcript or other proof student completed a high school, bachelor's or master's program from an accredited institution in the United States, or in countries where English is the native language

C. Documented interview with academic unit designee approving registration for requested non-degree coursework