- COVID-19 Information
- If you or a family member has had a potential COVID-19 exposure as outlined by the CDC, please call (202) 885-7777 or email SHCcoronavirus@american.edu for further instructions. Please call us ahead of time rather than coming directly in to the Student Health Center or making an appointment online.
- Messages will be checked between 9am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.
- What to do if you are worried about exposure to COVID-19 or exhibiting respiratory symptoms
- Coronavirus Update Frequently Asked Questions and Campus Life statement
- Due to the COVID-19 situation immunization holds on your accounts have been temporarily lifted
The Student Health Center will remain open for students but starting on March 24, 2020 it will operate with limited hours on campus. Our hours of operation will be Monday—Friday 10am-3:30pm.
In order maximize social distancing to limit the spread of COVID-19, we will have adopted a model similar to that of most DC healthcare centers. Patient visits for illness and urgent concerns will be prioritized. Scheduling of non-urgent appointments (i.e. physicals, woman’s wellness, immunizations, etc.) will be temporarily postponed at this time. If students have any questions or concerns regarding matters of their health, they should contact their SHC provider via secure messaging (within the Student Health Portal) and your provider will get back to you within 1 business day. Students who are concerned that they might be ill with COVID-19 should click here for more information.
As of March 23rd,2020 all psychiatric appointments are now being conducted via telepsychiatry. Unfortunately, this service is only available for students who are physically located in Washington DC, as our psychiatrist and psychiatric nurse practitioner are not licensed to offer telepsychiatry to students who reside outside of DC. If you are out of state, please send a secure message to your psychiatric provider. For psychiatry appointments please call: 202-885-3565 or email Psychiatry@american.edu (Please provide your First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, and AUID Number). Before your scheduled appointment, you will be sent a secure message through the student health portal with instructions on how to connect for your telepsychiatry appointment. You can use any device to connect as long as it has audio and video capabilities.
Hours of Operation
Monday 10:00am - 3:30pm
Tuesday 10:00am - 3:30pm
Wednesday 10:00am - 3:30pm
Thursday 10:00am - 3:30pm
Friday 10:00am - 3:30pm
The Student Health Center is located in McCabe Hall on the south side of campus, one of the four small brick buildings behind the Bender Library and behind Letts and Anderson Residence halls.
Please visit the Student Portal where you can schedule appointments, speak to clinicians, upload immunization records, and view visit summaries.
The Student Health Center posts relevant health alerts and advisories that may affect the campus community. Feel free to check this page frequently, as advisories can change more often than seasonally.