- Fall 2020
(or Year Program)
- August 15, 2020
- Spring 2021
- November 15, 2020
The AU Gap program has rolling admissions. You can submit your application any time during the application cycle, up to the deadline.
The AU Gap Program aligns with the American University Academic Calendar.
Applicants must meet the minimum university requirements for undergraduate study (high school diploma) and possess a minimum of a 3.0 high school GPA. Admission decisions are based on each applicant's academic record, essays, recommendations, and motivations to have a Gap Program experience. Additionally, we assess other characteristics such as maturity, leadership, personal character and potential contribution to the American University community.
The fall and spring AU GAP program is open to U.S. students only.
- Create an account.
- After you have created an account, complete the application.
- After you have submitted the first portion of your application, you must return to your account and complete supplemental items (once you refresh the page, supplemental items should be an option).
Note: Your application will not be considered until you have submitted the required supplemental items.
In addition to the online application, applicants must submit either electronically (upload with your application) or via mail:
- Official copy of current high school transcript or international equivalent
- Letter of Recommendation from a high school academic counselor
- Letter of Recommendation from an extracurricular or community contact
Your supplemental items may also be submitted by email to email@example.com.
Mail Via United States Postal Service (USPS):
School of Professional & Extended Studies
Office of Enrollment
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20016-8124
Mail Via Courier Service (UPS, FedEx, DHL):
Office of Enrollment
4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8001
Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements and have a complete application will be invited for a phone interview with the AU Gap Program before a final admissions decision is made. If the applicant is local to the DC, MD, VA area, applicants are welcome to request an in-person interview.