A summer in DC with the American University WSP Summer will change your understanding of the world, impacting your outlook on your studies and future career. Intern at a world-renowned DC organization while earning academic credit at a top-ranked university. Expand your professional network and acquire valuable experience, distinguishing you in future internships and jobs.
Program eligibility includes current undergraduate and graduate students and recent graduates. Find more details.
Why choose WSP for Summer 2021?
- Internships: WSP advisors help you find a remote, hybrid, or in-person internship in your area of interest from a database with hundreds of internship openings and thousands of internship leads. Coupled with a WSP Summer seminar course in US Government or International Affairs, you earn 3-credits and enjoy extensive faculty supervision and professional skills training to help you succeed in your internship and beyond. You work 30-35 hours per week from June 8 – July 30.
- Real World Experts: WSP Summer seminars are experience-based courses that give you the opportunity to meet and engage with some of Washington’s best and brightest speakers, guided by an AU faculty member.
- Housing: WSP Summer students have access to stellar off-campus housing at rates comparable to AU on-campus double occupancy housing.
- Tuition Cost: At $3,800, WSP Summer provides you a cost-effective way to earn AU credits.
WSP Summer and COVID
American University has announced that all class meetings for Summer 2021 seminars will be held online. We also anticipate holding all community-building activities online.
Housing and Student Services
TurnKey Housing Solutions provides state-of-the-art housing options for WSP Summer students wishing to experience living in DC, either in the heart of the District or near our campus – with rates comparable to AU double occupancy rates. No matter what your housing choice, all University student and academic support is available for WSP students.
Tuition: $3,800 for 3-credit seminar and internship
Mandatory Fees: See the University Mandatory Fee Table for updated fees
Admission is on a rolling basis. Apply early for better access to competitive internships and to guarantee your summer housing.
Priority Deadline: Monday, February 1, 2021
Final Deadline: Thursday, April 1, 2021
Sample Internship Sites
- Jacobs, Cordova and Associates
- Millennium Project
- National Youth Rights Association
- Naval History Heritage Command
- New York Center for Foreign Policy Affairs
- Recording Industry Association of America
- US Department of Education
- US House and Senate Offices
- Voice of America