We know this is a challenging and unprecedented time for you as a student, and for us, at American University. We have successfully moved to online instruction, which was necessary to help protect the health and well-being of our community and will continue through the summer semester. Facing this new normal, we are committed to making the online experience robust and engaging to meet the highest standards and expectations.
Be an online intern at a world renowned organization while earning academic credit at a top ranked university. Over 8 weeks, you will expand your network and acquire valuable experience, distinguishing you from other students - both at your home college, and in future internships and jobs.
Your online summer in DC will change your understanding of the world, impacting your outlook on your studies and future career.
The Summer Internship Program has 3 components:
- An online internship with an organization in Washington, DC where you will gain professional skills and industry experience.
- Your choice of a three-credit colloquium in US Government
or International Affairs
- You will also complete a comprehensive portfolio of your internship and colloquium experiences.
Schedule and Support
- Weekly class session that will feature guest speakers and virtual site visits
- 4 days of internship
- One-on-one support: From resume writing to cover letters, the internship search and mock interviews, to accepting an offer, we've got you covered. We will prepare you for what to expect in the workplace and provide solutions to challenges you may face.
Available Online Internships
- Business Organization
- Business Policy Organization
- Domestic Non-profit advocacy organization
- Federal agency
- International Non-profit advocacy organization
- Law Firm
- Legal Organization
- Lobbying Organization
- Social Justice Organization
- Think Tank