Tuition and costs are dependent on partner school status. We encourage you to always consult with your home school for your tuition rate and policies regarding off-campus study.
Our goal is to have a tuition rate in a range close to your home school’s tuition rate for a semester of study. Therefore, you will notice that we offer a three tiered tuition pricing model that aligns with the tuition of our many partner schools.
- American University Tuition Rate per Semester 12-17.5 AU credits
- For International Partner Students - Washington Semester Non-Credit Certificate Program
Partner School Tuition Tiers
- Tier 1
- $18,953 for schools with tuition rates below 75% of current AU tuition.
- Tier 2
- Home School rate for schools with home school tuition rates greater than $18,953 but less than prevailing AU undergraduate tuition.
- Tier 3
- AU prevailing undergraduate tuition rate of $25,271 for schools with home school tuition rates at or greater than AU's rate.
Required Student Fees
- Technology Fee
- Sports Center Fee
- Student Activity Fee (Fall 2020)
- Student Activity Fee (Spring 2021)
- U*Pass (University Pass) Transportation Program1
1Flat fee for unlimited Metrorail and Metrobus transportation during Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 semester (estimated savings of over $500 per semester for Washington Semester students) for travel to/from internship sites, guest speakers, site visits, classes on campus, and recreational activities.
On-Campus Traditional Residence Hall
- On-Campus Housing - Traditional-style (Single Occupancy) Room with community bathroom2
- On-Campus Housing - Traditional-style (Double Occupancy) Room with community bathroom
- On-Campus Housing - Traditional-style (Triple Occupancy) Room with community bathroom3
2Priority for single occupancy housing is given to students approved for disability-related accommodations by American University's Academic Support & Access Center. Please contact the ASAC at email@example.com or +1 (202) 885-3360 for more information.
3Limited availability for On Campus Triple Occupancy
On-Campus Meal Plan Options
- All Access 7 Days + 5 Meal Exchanges per week (with $100 EagleBuck$)
- 175 Block (with $200 EagleBuck$ and $200 Dining Dollars)
- 100 Block (with $200 EagleBuck$ and $200 Dining Dollars)4
- 50 Block (with $100 Dining Dollars)5
- Eaglebuck$ and no meal swipes
4Students living on campus are required to enroll in a minimum of 100-block meal plan.
5The 50-block meal plan and $800 in EagleBuck$ only are only available for students living off campus on their own.
Off-campus residents are not required to purchase a university meal plan.
Health Insurance Costs
Health insurance is required for all students at AU. The waiver and account activation will become available after the student receives the registration confirmation email. Students with private insurance may waive the AU health insurance to avoid charges; students should submit the waiver prior to the start of the semester to have the charge removed. Students who will not waive the health insurance should activate their AU health insurance account. Students who do not submit the waiver nor activate their account will be auto-enrolled in the plan, which will become active approximately four weeks after the start of the semester.
- AU Health Insurance - Fall coverage only
Must be waived prior to deadline to avoid fee
Effective August 1 - December 31, 2020, for students who submit the Enrollment Form; effective September through December 31, 2020, for auto-enrolled students
- AU Health Insurance - Spring & Summer coverage
Effective January 1 - July 31, 2021
- AU Health Insurance - Full year coverage
Effective August 1, 2020 - July 31, 2021
- All international students must have health insurance plans with a U.S. carrier who meets the minimum coverage requirements. International students will not be permitted to waive the AU health insurance with insurance from their home country.
- Travel insurance is not eligible for a waiver.
- International students must have unlimited medical evacuation benefits and unlimited repatriation benefits.
Tuition Refund Insurance
If you will pay tuition directly to your home school, we recommend that you contact your home school regarding their tuition insurance plan if offered before purchasing AU-affiliated tuition refund insurance.
Tuition refund insurance is optional but recommended. If you will pay tuition directly to AU and are interested in purchasing tuition refund insurance, please review the information for AU-affiliated insurance.
Other Estimated Costs to be Considered
- Student Commuter/ Resident General Parking (semester rate)
Students should also plan and budget for personal expenses, including medical not covered by health insurance and travel expenses to and from Washington, D.C.
- 3-credit Colloquium + Internship
Scholarships are available. For priority consideration, complete your admissions application first. If you've already been admitted to the program, visit the Scholarships page for more information on how to obtain a scholarship.